March 2017 Newsletter
Milk Price, Voluntary Milk Supply Management Scheme, Agri Audits Ltd, Sprayer Testing, Carbery Bonus, Milk Recording
The Board of Directors have increased the milk price for the month of February by 1.5 cents per litre - bringing the price to 33.48 cpl (150.22 cents per gallon) at 3.60% butterfat and 3.30% protein, including Winter Somatic Cell Count (SCC) bonus of 0.88 cpl, SDAS bonus of 0.15 cpl and VAT at 5.4%.
The average price paid for the month is 35.96 cpl. This is based on the average butterfat of 4.14% and protein of 3.33%, including SCC, SDAS bonuses and VAT.
Voluntary Milk Supply Management Scheme
Phase One of the Voluntary Milk Supply Management Scheme is nearing completion. Nationally, the scheme will result in €6.5 million for Ireland. Suppliers who submitted a payment request and reduced their supply by at least 20% of their authorized volume are entitled to payment.
The Department will contact each farmer who submitted a payment request outlining in a clear and detailed way what they are entitled to by way of payment. Farmers should receive their payment by the end of March
SDAS / Agri Audits Ltd
Agri Audits are currently offering a 10% discount for all first time customers. Agri Audits Ltd is a West Cork company that assists farmers in preparing for their Bord Bia audit. Specialising in the preparation of farm paperwork such as remedy purchase records, usage records and the farm health and safety statement.
For more information or to avail of this special offer see the Agri Audits promotional leaflet included in this months account.
The Sustainable Use Directive requires that all sprayers more than 5 years old having a boom width of >3m must have passed a Pesticide Application Equipment Test before being used to apply professional use plant protection products.
A number of checks should be carried out on the sprayer before presenting for testing. These include filters cleaned, all nozzles working; pipework & PTO guards in good order and that the sprayer is thoroughly washed.
Drinagh are providing this testing service to their customers. For more information contact James Walsh in Drinagh Central on 028 30800.
The 2016 Carbery bonus previously announced is expected to be paid in the April statement.
To reflect the fact that some of this bonus is in respect of an Ornua bonus 20% of the bonus will be paid on all milk supplied in 2016. The remaining 80% will be paid on the variable milk price only. In all cases the bonus is calculated on kgs of solids.
Benefits from Milk Recording
As we enter the era of precision agriculture, performance data, and how we use it has never been of more importance. For dairy farmers the most important piece of performance data that can be collected is cow milk yield and quality (fat, protein & SCC). Milk recording is the first step to investing in the long term profitability of your herd.
- Milk recording allows the farmer to track their best and worst producing cows. This is the biggest benefit of milk recording as it will assist in management decisions such as;
- which cows are underperforming and may be suitable to cull
- Which cows are producing in your system and are more suitable for breeding replacements